Everyone seems to have an opinion on whether to use packing cubes or not. “Why use packing cubes?” you ask. “What difference is it really going to make?” Well I am hoping this article will convince you that packing cubes are truly amazing! I am a complete convert and have made it my life mission to ensure everyone around the world who travels whether for business, leisure or otherwise knows what packing cubes are and what using packing cubes will do to their travelling life.
So What Are Packing Cubes?
Packing cubes (or packing cells as they are sometimes referred to) are usually made out of a lightweight material and come in many shapes and sizes. Some are square or oblong and are designed to store larger items such as shirsts, pants and dresses etc. Some are smaller and ideal for t’shirts, shorts and clothing items that aren’t so bulky. Then you have the smallest ones that are perfect for socks and jocks and other “delicate” items that you prefer to have hidden away. (Nothing worse than having your suitcase contents on show if your suitcase has a malfunction!).
How Do I use Packing Cubes Effectively?
The idea of packing cubes is that once you pack your clothes and items into the cubes or cells you can then transfer them directly into you suitcase, backpack or other luggage. This not only creates additional space (for all those shoppers out there!) but it also does a great job of protecting your clothing, shoes and other personal belongings in your luggage. Now the best part is that once you arrive at your destination you can open up your suitcase and lift out each cube or cell and put them directly into the hotel room drawers or cabin drawers if you are fortunate enough to be on a cruise!
Now this is where they really come into their own! You will never again have to go searching for missing socks, or spend ages trying to find your favourite t shirt. They are exactly where you placed them! Once you finish with them (and if they are clean of course!) you can just fold them straight back into the packing cube you got it out of and it is there for when you want it next time!
Packing Cubes are also really useful if you are limited on luggage space or only want to take carry on luggage. You will find that if packed correctly you can fit far more into your carry on!
10 Great Reasons You Should be Using Packing Cubes
- They are the best way to organize your suitcase when travelling. Whether it is for business travel or for leisure, vacation, sports travel or even cruising, packing cells are an absolute godsend!
- There is nothing worse than trying to find your favourite socks or tshirt or finding your matching bikini bottoms when all you want to do is get down to the pool!
- Keeps your clothes and personal items clean and free from whatever dreaded germs the person who stayed in your room before you has left in the drawers! (Think smelly socks and dirty undies!)
- Quick and efficient way to pack and unpack a suitcase with the minimum amount of fuss and bother so you can get on with what you want to do without having to waste time packing or unpacking. Just get straight off to the pool for a cocktail!
- Reusable – you can use them over and over again! In fact I have two sets and it is perfect for a 2 week vacation! I can take everything I need and everything I don’t need! (Who wants to pack light when you can fit it all in?)
- You will be the envy of your fellow travellers! Especially if they don’t have any! Trust me – as soon as they see your amazingly organised suitcase they are going to buy some the first chance they get!
- You can even use these at home to organize your drawers and wardrobes.
- Great to use for the kids to keep their secret things secret but best of all – tidy!
- Shoe pouches are great for using at the gym even when you are not travelling as it keeps them away from the rest of your gear.
- They just make life and travel so stress free!
There Are So Many Packing Cube Options – How Do I Choose?
Big ones, square ones, pouches, rectangles, funny looking ones that fit your bras in perfectly – there are so many shapes and sizes out there. Not to mention brands and the number of cubes in a set.
So which one to choose? Well it is largely going to depend on how often and how long you travel for. If you are only going away for short periods of time such as a weekender then a smaller set would suffice. But if you are heading off on a Round World Cruise for 6 months I would recommend a couple of larger sets.
The quality will also be a factor worth considering. If you want a set that is going to last then be prepared to pay a bit more for a better quality – such as the Pro Packing Cubes 6 piece set. They are a great size and the quality is excellent.
It’s very easy to combine sets and I use two completely different patterned sets as i find it helps me find things faster. I can divide things up in smaller categories so it is far easier to find them. Of course you may want to take a couple of empty ones along for any spontaneous purchases while you are away.
Check out the below You Tube review on various brands.
Okay – Where can I Buy Packing Cubes?
www.packme.co.nz offers Kiwis (New Zealanders) some very cheap sets and you can even get a great deal when you buy 2 sets! Check out the deal here: Set of 2 Packing Cells. Otherwise – if you prefer you can purchase a couple of different set options by visiting our store.
I can recommend the Pro Packing Cubes. They have different sized sets for all budgets and types of travel. They are lightweight but robust. They have plenty of different size options so cover all your packing requirements. They also have a great range of colours.
- Pro Packing Cubes – Set of 4
- Pro Packing Cubes – Set of 5
- Pro Packing Cubes set of 6
- Pro Packing Cubes set of 10
We would also love to have your comments or ideas on how you use your packing cubes so if there is anything I haven’t already covered please feel free to share!
If you have any questions on packing cubes feel free to leave a comment below and I can answer it for you.
So what are you waiting for? Go get some!!!
Don’t be the last person on the planet who doesn’t have a set! Go and get your Packing Cubes today!